Tuesday, August 14, 2012

GDC - Third Day

Wow, so today was very busy.
As I mentioned yesterday (actually, it was "today" already. Geez...), I had to get up very early (5:00 a.m., to be concrete) and tried to 'fix' my right foot (which still hurts). Used some ointment and cooled it before I left the house, but it didn't hold on for long, so when I arrived at the station in Cologne and wanted to walk down the street to GDC, the pain was back _ _' I'm still not sure what it is or what caused it. Maybe I'll find out after I finished working :')

 (I'm sorry for looking like a dork in this pic, it's just because it was around 5:30 when I shot it and as you might can imagine, I was utterly tired...)


So, I arrived quite early and was able to have some "great" breakfast, which consisted of...RedBull. If I say "RedBull", I mean there weren't like the normal RedBull cans which everyone knows, but some really strange ones. So one of my co-mates brought one for me as well (RedBull sponsored them) and it was like... blueberry taste???I didn't even know that something like that exists at all!


(But speaking of that: it tasted disgusting, I think.... |D )
My task for today was almost just to check badges. Which was - in fact - totally boring and absolutely nerve-racking due to some of the visitors. Some of those didn't even know that "GDC" (Game Developers Conference) and "GC" (aka GamesCom) are two totally different things. So they wanted to enter the East Entrance, which is "GDC ONLY" until it's over. I think you might use the East Entrance from Thursday, as soon as the GDC is over. So we always had to send them to another entrance, explaining them why they couldn't pass GDC's entrance. Sounds not that difficult, does it... anyway, if there's the hundredth visitor at the wrong entrance, you kinda get annoyed. Still we did our best to gave them our best smiles and help whenever we could. Unfortunately, some of them were becoming some kind of 'rude', as if it was our rules or our faults (even some of those people which were obviously working for the GamesCom). To make it clear, of course not all of the visitors were like that ^^  We really had some very nice conversation with some visitors! Some of them did even hold our for some minutes to chat :)  (I especially enjoyed talking to the old man who asked me about the lunch. It just was as if we knew each other for years, when I saw that he was VIP - obviously even some big company's boss!! I was quite ashamed to be honest, but he was just laughing and acting like we're buddies anyway ☆).
Speaking of VIP; I had to search someone in the VIP-area later. That was a mess...  anyway, the guy (who was the president of "Spellbound") was totally nice! ^^ We had a little conversation on our way to pick up his conference partner downstairs so he could take him to the VIP-lounge.

After some time of working, we had a "coffee break" (even though it wasn't a break, lol!). Nevertheless: Free coffee is the best ☆ 
When I checked out from work, I just had a look around some booths again, when I saw "Marmalade".  Geez, this is freakin' cool shit! Marmalade is a new Integrated Development Environment (short: IDE), supporting several programming languages, including native languages such as C/C++, but also Adobe AIR, IOS, Android, HTML5 etc. etc, bringing them to one level, which means that they 'convert' your program/app  to the operating system you'd like it to be.
They say: "We take care of complexities of each platform so you don't have to". 
(I'm sorry for spam-posting you with this stuff, I don't think anyone is interested in this at all... but I'm just quite enthused by that ^^;; ).
So, after this day, I gained some (rather unintentionally) great contacts in between - so maybe you'll hear some of my pieces in an app or a video game (haha, doesn't that sound great!?).  
And just to end this post for now, I still want to share some photos with you I did this morning (when GDC was still closed): 







2 comments:

  1. Haha vistors..
    Had the same when working for Japan Expo in Belgium.
    At the end I knew the sentences in French although I don't even speak French... xD

    And Marmelade sound really interesting! Have to check mashable on news about that one!


    For the Red Bull - when we were at the Red Bull hangar thingy they had blue, red and white versions! All were pretty cool, although I'm usually not too fond of energy drinks ><

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes, sometimes there are such people who make you wanna tear your hair out...! |D !

      If you're interested in Marmalade, you might check this link: http://www.madewithmarmalade.com ! It's the official website :)


      Speakin' of those RedBull drinks: Yes, we had some red ones as well! I think it was some kind of berry, too...? (And I heard that the 'white' (well, I heard it was called 'silver', but I think it's the same? |D ) was lemon? :O ). Maybe I'd have liked the white one. But I'm not into berry if it comes to drinks :/

      Delete